Thursday, December 21, 2006

University

I have no idea why but I started thinking about my University life today.

My reminiscence has been brought about by the fact that my boss is still off ill and that filling the empty hours of my working day (ie. all of them) involves sitting around and thinking about my past.

I loved University.

Everything seemed possible. I was away from the dreary town of my birth for the first time ever and meeting people outside of my usual circle of disinterested friends. The world was fresh and new and filled with possibilities.

Much about that period involved firsts for me. It was the first time I lived away from home. It was my first time living in a city of any size or note. It was the first time that I felt in some way responsible for the course my adult life was going to take.

But somehow I managed to take all this possibility and potential and fuck it all up.

I left the place with huge gambling losses. I went back to my dreary hometown when I should have taken a risk and attempted to kickstart a career in my university city or Cunt London. It took me well over a year to find a job in my chosen profession (and involved working in a video store, behind the counter of pharmacists and a turn as the world's laziest gas meter reader). And whilst my career eventually kickstarted itself with such power that I have managed to achieve comfortable mediocrity here on the mean streets of C London, I still carry some of those gambling debts (along with a few others that seemed like good ideas at the time).

I'm not saying that I am sorry at how my life turned out. Because I'm not. I've got more than many and therefore less reason to complain, but I sometimes wonder how things might have been if I had shown a little more tenacity and bravery as a younger man.

If I could go back in time and get hold of the little twat I used to be, I think I'd give him a fucking good clip around the ear and whisper, "Say no to the fruit machines, you fucktard!"

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You passed the test...you called it University so gained something from it; I favour a quick entrance examination, those who wish to 'do yooni' fail.

4:53 pm  
Blogger The Nothing Man said...

I gained an education. That is true. So, like yourself, I am able to use the entire word rather than the first two syllables 'Uni'.

Usually the people who 'do yooni' get on my nerves!

Welcome to my blog!

8:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd twat my younger self and say 'You will put the weight back on, 'tardo.'
I would also whisper 'Shag Molly and stop trying to be nice. And Lucy and Jenny too.'

Oh my god. I've wasted my life being picky.

11:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home