Thursday, February 08, 2007

Novel

The reason I'm taking time out (except today where I just had to vent spleen) is because I am trying to write a novel.

It won't change the world. It won't change the face of literature. And it won't change the face of the bestseller lists even if a publisher is kind enough to publish the thing.

However, it has changed the course of my life.

My life has been an unending sequence of commas, en dashes, semi-colons and colons. But no full stops.

I've never finished a single major project I've started. All have remained in stasis or fallen into disrepair through a combination of apathy and doubt.

But this project is different. It has been written quickly and the story has twisted and turned in ways I never even imagined. And I'm gripped. I want to know what happens to the characters. Hell, part of me does know, but it is only when the words flesh out the bones of the story that the tale comes alive.

And this tale is coming alive.

And blogging is getting in the way of the story. So, for now, the blog has to be put on hold (with the odd monthly update or extreme anger overload).

If I continue writing at 1000+ words a day, which is what's happening since I've stopped blogging over the last two or three days, then I reckon the first draft of the novel will be done in two and a half to three months.

I can't wait.

So, for now, this is a real goodbye!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A thousand words a day is brilliant. Tell us when you're done, and especially when you're published.

3:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks. I'm feeling my creative juices flowing!

I may upload a few choice chapters when I have the chance, possibly in a new blog with some of my short stories etc.

3:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you dare make it bigtime. Then I will have to leave you and your success to it.

1:49 pm  
Blogger TryingTimes said...

The novel thing...

Consistency is the key; just stick at it.

Took me five and a half years to write my first and two years to get it published.

Don't lose sight of your goal.



TT.

7:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. However, the only thing you accomplish by finishing a book is looking forward to starting the next. It's a never-ending cycle.

7:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home